Avoiding the Dentist Because of Anxiety?
You aren’t alone. At Sky Dental Dental, we know that dental anxiety is quite common for many people. In fact, about 20% of us experience mild to severe anxiety when visiting the dentist and 10% actively avoid going, unless it’s an emergency.
Some common concerns we hear from Sky Dental patients are:
- The chance of receiving bad news, especially if oral hygiene has been lax.
- Fear of being admonished for not taking better care of teeth. (Head’s up! You’re in a judgement-free zone at Sky Dental!)
- The possibility of expensive and/or invasive treatments.
- The Pavlovian association of pain and discomfort with a dental visit.
Add to that the pandemic, which has given rise to less than stellar eating habits like snacking on sugary and high-carb foods, partnered with not consistently brushing and flossing teeth afterwards, and tooth trouble has understandably sky-rocketed, according to a recent article about the topic.
Which is why Sky Dental is the place for you!
What if we told you, it is possible to find a dental practice that not only understands your nerves and anxiety, but takes active steps to help aleve your jitters and put you at ease.
Sky Dental, in Lower Manhattan, offers a range of comfort options :
- A fleece blanket to snuggle you like a warm hug
- Quiet ambience and disposable ear plugs to keep the vibe chill
- Netflix to stream your favorite shows
- Lip moisturizer to ease those “open wide” moments
- Various forms of anesthesia
Additionally, our doctors make sure to describe treatments before they begin, so that patients understand what is going to happen. And, no one will ever ask an embarrassing question like, ‘When did you last floss?” At Sky Dental, our doctors will work with you to create a plan that will help you achieve your dental goals.
Prevention is Key! Here’s what you can do to take better care of your teeth at home:
Between visits to your favorite dentist at Sky Dental, try these tips to keep your oral health in tip-top shape and make your next appointment easy-breezy:
- After snacking, rinse your mouth with water.
- Brush in circular strokes with a soft-bristled brush, or, better yet, use an electric toothbrush.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Choose water over sugary drinks to maintain or restore the PH balance in your mouth.
- Floss regularly, especially before bed.
Following an oral hygiene regimen at home and visiting Sky Dental once every six months will save you a lot of anxiety and expensive treatments in the long run. Who needs to be anxious about dental visits anymore? Not you!